Quality axles are not easy to manufacture. Let’s run through the process.
1. Cut a solid beam to the correct length
2..Couplemate developed a program to use a roughing tool, a finished tool, and a threading tool.
3. The first tool used in the video is a roughing tool. This tool removes most of the steel before we arrive at the finishing profile.
4.The finishing tool skims over the profile and produces a journal within 0.02mm.
5. Once the finishing tool has done its job, a threading tool is engaged which also cut a thread within 0.02mm of its specification.
6. The CNC technician then manually fits front and back bearing to ensure a tight fit.
7. The axle nut is then tested for tightness.
8. Finally, if all the steps above pass then the axle is removed from the lathe.